These wonderful winter veggie bowls are filled with sweet roasted winter veggies, served over quinoa, and topped with an addicting creamy maple tahini sauce! They take little work to put together- all you have to do is roast the veggies, and meanwhile, cook the quinoa and quickly whisk the sauce together. I topped mine with spicy pumpkin seeds for extra flavor and crunch!
The brussel sprouts are roasted with balsamic vinegar which brings out a warm sweetness in the winter vegetable. The chickpeas are tossed with fragrant, warm spices like turmeric and nutmeg, which helps them pair perfectly with the sweet potatoes!
Quinoa and chickpeas pack this bowl with protein and you will get your greens in from the brussels sprouts, so this makes a perfect complete and filling meal!
The maple tahini drizzle is the perfect complement to the warm winter flavors of this bowl!
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do! Don’t forget to comment below if you try it out yourself and tag your recreations on Instagram @zenanzaatar! ????
- 1 lb brussels sprouts
- 1 large or 2 small sweet potatoes
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil (optional)
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Pepitas or pumpkin seeds (optional, for topping)
- 1 15 oz. can chickpeas
- 1 tbsp olive oil (optional)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ cup tahini
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 400F. Peel and cube sweet potatoes, and trim brussel sprouts by cutting off the brown end. Place brussel sprouts and sweet potato cubes on a parchment lined baking sheet, leaving room to add chickpeas later. Toss the brussel sprouts in the balsamic vinegar. Drizzle olive oil over all the veggies and sprinkle them with salt and pepper.* Bake sweet potatoes and brussel sprouts for 35-40 minutes.
- Rinse and drain chickpeas. Toss with olive oil** and coat in spices (salt, pepper, turmeric, and nutmeg). Put them on the baking sheet with the rest of the vegetables 20 minutes into baking.
- While veggies are roasting, prepare quinoa. Rinse and drain quinoa. Bring quinoa and vegetable broth to a boil in a pot. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Lower heat, cover pot, and simmer until quinoa is fully cooked and liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Prepare maple tahini sauce by whisking together all the ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Assemble your bowls! Place roasted veggies over a bed of quinoa in a bowl. Drizzle with maple tahini and top with pumpkin seeds if desired. Enjoy!
**If making this oil free, omit the olive oil and leave the chickpeas slightly damp, so the spices will adhere.