These vegan portobello pizzas are a delicious, healthy, quick meal that is done in just 20 minutes! Portobello mushrooms are roasted in garlic herb oil, topped with marinara and vegan mozzarella, and veggies of your choice. These vegan portobello pizzas have all the flavors you love in a pizza, packaged in an individual portobello mushroom, for a dinner recipe that's perfect when you're short on time.
- Portobello Mushrooms: These serve as the base for the individual pizzas. Portobello mushroom caps replace the crust for these vegan pizzas, making it a gluten-free, healthier option.
- Olive Oil & Garlic: We brush olive oil infused with minced garlic onto the portobello mushrooms to pack them with flavor.
- Tomato Sauce: I used marinara, but you can use any seasoned tomato sauce, or season your own with salt, pepper, garlic, herbs, and olive oil.
- Vegan Mozzarella: Here I used a store bought vegan mozzarella, but if you want to make your own, I recommend my recipe for cashew mozzarella- it works excellent here! I also finished them off with some of my vegan parmesan.
- Veggies: I used cherry tomatoes covered in some olive oil, which broiled beautifully in the oven. Some other options include roasted peppers, mushooms, and olives.
- Basil: I love to finish these mini pizzas off with fresh basil leaves for a delicious flavor!
How to Make Vegan Portobello Pizza:
We start off by preheating the oven, and then marinating the portobello mushroom caps in garlic herb oil. Then we pre-bake the mushroom caps until a lot of the moisture cooks off, and they are tender. We then fill the roasted mushrooms with a tomato sauce, top them with vegan cheese, and veggies, and they go back in the oven until the cheese is melty and bubbly! Then these portobello pizzas are finished off with fresh basil.
Why You'll Love these Vegan Portobello Pizzas:
- Quick: These mini pizzas are a great recipe for dinner that will be done in only 20 minutes!
- Easy: Everything is cooked in the oven and there is minimal prep work involved.
- Minimal Ingredients: Most of these ingredients are easy to find at the grocery store, and there are only 7 main ingredients involved!
- Healthy: These portobello mushroom caps are a healthy and protein-packed alternative to traditional pizza crusts.
- Delicious: These have all the delicious flavors of a pizza without the guilt!
Substitutions and Serving Suggestions:
If you'd like, you can replace the vegan mozzarella with vegan parmesan. Some of my favorite toppings other than broiled tomatoes are sautéed vegan sausage, olives, roasted peppers, sautéed mushrooms, and vegan pepperoni. The possibilities are endless! You can even switch out the tomato sauce for a pesto sauce.
I hope you love this portobello pizza recipe as much as I do! Be sure to tag your recreations on Instagram @zenandzaatar #zenandzaatar or pin this recipe for later!
- 6 portobello mushroom caps
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp oregano
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- ¾ cup marinara or seasoned tomato sauce
- ¾ cup vegan mozzarella (homemade or store-bought)*
- ¼ cup basil leaves, loosely packed (optional)
- diced veggies of choice
- Preheat oven to 425F. Mix olive oil, salt, pepper, oregano, and garlic in a small bowl. Wash and dry mushroom caps, and remove stem. Brush the olive oil mixture on to both sides of each mushroom cap. Bake for 8-12 mins, stem side down, until juicy.
- Flip mushroom caps over. Fill each mushroom with 2 tbsp of marinara sauce, followed by 2 tbsp of vegan mozzarella.
- Toss cherry tomatoes in olive oil. Top portobello pizzas with the cherry tomatoes and veggies of your choice. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt, pepper, and oregano if you wish. Bake for 7-12 mins, until cheese is melted and bubbly. Remove from oven and top with basil leaves. Enjoy!
*Find my recipe for vegan mozzarella right here!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 140Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 536mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 6g
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although zenandzaatar.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.