After trying countless methods of seasoning tofu scramble, I have finally found the perfect one. My super flavorful tofu scramble is packed with umami, savory flavor and dressed with juicy cherry tomatoes and spinach. A perfect plant-based alternative to scrambled eggs, this is the vegan breakfast staple you need! I have it almost every day in some form- it’s just that good.
Watch me show you how to make this tofu scramble in the video below!
Watch the full video on YouTube!
What makes this scramble so rich and flavorful is the combination of lemon, tahini, and nutritional yeast. This ingredients pack this recipe with a savory, umami flavor that makes this tofu anything but boring. I myself prefer its taste to the taste of eggs- something I never enjoyed that much, except for the savory aspect. Although this tofu scramble does not replicate the exact taste of eggs, I find it to have even more of a savory taste and pleasing texture.
Cherry tomatoes and wilted spinach add flavor and color to this tofu scramble.
I love serving my tofu scramble with hot sauce or avocado, as well as alongside toast topped with vegan butter or avocado.
This tofu scramble is super versatile- you can add any of your favorite veggies to spice it up. Some of my favorites in addition to cherry tomatoes and spinach are mushrooms, kale, diced onions, and bell peppers.
- 1 14 oz. package firm tofu
- 1 tbsp plant-based butter or oil
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp oregano (optional)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3/4 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 3 cups baby spinach leaves (or more to your liking)
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Drain tofu and crumble it over the skillet. Drizzle with tahini, lemon juice, turmeric, and salt, and stir to evenly combine.
- Add the rest of the seasoning including smoked paprika, oregano, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and nutritional yeast, and stir to combine. Make sure the tofu is evenly seasoned.
- Sauté the tofu for about 5 mins, until slightly brown and the liquid has evaporated, before adding tomatoes and spinach. Cover and steam the spinach for 3-5 mins, until it has started to wilt. Remove the lid and flip the tofu in batches, so the other side can brown as well. Leave for 3-5 more mins. Skip this step if you prefer a soft tofu scramble.
- Serve tofu scramble with toast, avocado, and hot sauce. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 328Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 757mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 9gSugar: 3gProtein: 25g
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although zenandzaatar.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.