After trying countless methods of seasoning tofu scramble, I have finally found the perfect one. My super flavorful tofu scramble is packed with umami, savory flavor and dressed with juicy cherry tomatoes and spinach. A perfect plant-based alternative to scrambled eggs, this is the vegan breakfast staple you need! I have it almost every day in some form- it's just that good.
Watch me show you how to make this tofu scramble in the video below!
Watch the full video on YouTube!
What makes this scramble so rich and flavorful is the combination of lemon, tahini, and nutritional yeast. This ingredients pack this recipe with a savory, umami flavor that makes this tofu anything but boring. I myself prefer its taste to the taste of eggs- something I never enjoyed that much, except for the savory aspect. Although this tofu scramble does not replicate the exact taste of eggs, I find it to have even more of a savory taste and pleasing texture.
- Tofu: This served as the base to our vegan "scrambled eggs!" Crumbled tofu is a delicious plant based egg alternative, especially when it soaks up all the flavors and seasonings in this recipe.
- Plant Based Butter: You can use vegan butter or oil to sauté the tofu scramble, but I think vegan butter lends a flavor profile more reminiscent of traditional scrambled eggs.
- Tahini: Tahini is the secret ingredient in this dish that packs this tofu scramble full of umami, savory flavor! I recommend to use a high quality tahini such as SoCo tahini, a rich, high quality tahini from the Middle East that gives back to the Middle Eastern Entrepreneurs of Tomorrow.
- Lemon Juice: Adds a complex depth of flavor, especially when combined with the tahini.
- Turmeric: To give it that bright yellow color, and add anti-inflammatory benefits!
- Nutritional Yeast: Gives a deliciously cheesy, savory flavor.
- Herbs and Spices: To make this tofu scramble ultra savory and flavorful.
- Cherry Tomatoes & Spinach: I love adding these to the tofu scramble, but you can add any veggies you like!
How to Make the Best Tofu Scramble:
To make tofu scramble, you will start off by heating some oil or vegan butter in a hot skillet, and then crumbling a block of firm or extra firm tofu on top of it. Then, we add the seasonings and marinades including tahini, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, and turmeric. We will let the tofu absorb all of the flavors and let most of the liquid evaporate, for a firmer texture. Then, we will add cherry tomatoes and spinach, or the veggies of your choice, and serve alongside toast or avocado!
Why You'll Love these Super Flavorful Tofu Scrambled "Eggs:"
- Easy: This is a foolproof recipe with straightforward steps, perfect for vegans at any stage of their journey.
- Quick: This recipe is done in just 15 minutes!
- Flavor Packed: All the seasonings and ingredients pack this tofu scramble with savory, umami flavor, that even tofu-doubtfuls won't believe!
- Versatile: This recipe is customizable to your liking with your favorite veggies and toppings.
Serving Suggestions and Tips:
- 1 14 oz. package firm tofu
- 1 tbsp plant-based butter or oil
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp oregano (optional)
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ¾ cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 3 cups baby spinach leaves (or more to your liking)
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Drain tofu and crumble it over the skillet. Drizzle with tahini, lemon juice, turmeric, and salt, and stir to evenly combine.
- Add the rest of the seasoning including smoked paprika, oregano, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and nutritional yeast, and stir to combine. Make sure the tofu is evenly seasoned.
- Sauté the tofu for about 5 mins, until slightly brown and the liquid has evaporated, before adding tomatoes and spinach. Cover and steam the spinach for 3-5 mins, until it has started to wilt. Remove the lid and flip the tofu in batches, so the other side can brown as well. Leave for 3-5 more mins. Skip this step if you prefer a soft tofu scramble.
- Serve tofu scramble with toast, avocado, and hot sauce. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 328Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 757mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 9gSugar: 3gProtein: 25g
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although zenandzaatar.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.