This colorful Mediterranean-style smashed chickpea salad sandwich is a healthy, protein-packed meal bursting with flavor and topped with a deliciously creamy vegan tzatziki.
This delicious vegan chickpea salad sandwich offers a healthy alternative to traditional chickpea, chicken, and tuna salad sandwiches without sacrificing the protein or flavor. ???? Tahini replaces the commonly used mayo, and offers a creamy texture while complementing the Mediterranean aromas.
I love to eat smashed chickpea and tahini sandwiches in a pita pocket or wrap for breakfast as well as lunch! They make such a simple, quick, anytime meal and fill me up for hours.
- 4-6 slices of bread
- 1 15 oz. can chickpeas
- 2-3 tsp water
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp cumin
- 1 scallion, finely chopped (optional)
- Creamy Vegan Tzatziki (recipe)
- Red onions (I used pickled)
- Roma tomatoes
- ½ English cucumber or 1 Persian cucumber
- 1-2 avocados
- Prepare creamy vegan tzatziki according to directions.
- Drain chickpeas, reserving a bit of the water. Microwave drained chickpeas with 2 tsp water for high on 30 seconds. Mash them with a fork, leaving some whole. Add tahini, lemon juice, turmeric, smoked paprika, salt, garlic powder, and cumin. Mix everything together well. If it seems too dry, add 1 more tsp of water and mix. Add in chopped scallion and mix through.
- Slice all toppings and mash avocado. Toast bread slices if desired and top with mashed avocado, chickpea salad, and toppings of choice. Enjoy!