Since I first went vegan, I've loved chickpea omelets as an alternative to eggs, but it was difficult to make one that was able to be flipped perfectly without falling apart. This savory chickpea omelet is so flavorful, especially when topped with my avocado pesto, and I found the trick to hold these omelets together for a perfect vegan egg alternative.
Watch me show you how to make this chickpea omelet in the video below! (Starts at 7:00)
Watch on YouTube!
These savory chickpea omelets can be customized to your liking with a filling of your choice. I added diced tomatoes, red bell peppers, and mushrooms to mine. They would also be delicious with spinach, kale, or vegan cheese.
When testing recipes for the perfect chickpea omelet, I sometimes encountered the frustration of the omelet breaking when I flipped it over. But I discovered that a little bit of cornstarch can hold the batter together, resulting in a chickpea omelet that stays together and doesn't break apart.
I love to top these chickpea omelets with a creamy avocado pesto. It is light and healthy, yet holds an incredible flavor that complements the vegan omelet.
If you enjoy this free recipe, consider supporting me further by purchasing or gifting my e-book, including this recipe and over 55 others! Have the best vegan recipes at your fingertips, downloaded to your device, without the ads and extra text on my blog. Buy it HERE!
- ¾ cup chickpea flour
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika,
- salt, pepper, to taste
- ½ tsp black salt (optional, gives egg flavor)
- 1 cup almond milk or other non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp vinegar or lemon juice
- avocado pesto
- chopped veggies of your choice (I used red bell pepper, tomato, and mushrooms)
- Whisk all dry ingredients together in a bowl. Then, add almond milk and lemon juice, and whisk until smooth.
- You can prepare the avocado pesto at this time by processing all ingredients until smooth, and set that aside for topping.
- Sauté your veggies for the filling of your omelet, and set aside.
- Grease a pan over medium high heat, and add ⅓ or ½ of your chickpea omelet batter. You can roll around the pan slightly to make the omelet cover a larger surface area. Cover with a lid, until you see that the top has risen slightly and the texture is firm. You can touch it to see if it is no longer wet. This takes 3-5 mins. Then, add your cooked veggies to one half of the omelet, and fold it over on itself.
- Optionally steam with the lid for a minute or 2, before removing from heat. Repeat the process with the other omelets. Top with avocado pesto. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 412Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 930mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 11gSugar: 11gProtein: 15g
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although zenandzaatar.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.