These vegan egg muffins are gluten-free, ready in 20 minutes, and can be customized to your liking! Chickpea and tofu-free, these vegan eggs are mung bean based, resulting in a mild flavor and texture that is similar to eggs.
Watch on YouTube!
These mung bean egg muffins can be packed with all kinds of veggies, and are complemented by a tangy tahini sauce. I like to use cherry tomatoes, kale, and bell peppers, but some other options include diced red onions, diced potatoes, sliced mushrooms, spinach, or chopped broccoli florets.
The tangy tahini sauce complements these vegan egg muffins so that you won’t find them dry, and adds a burst of flavor. I seasoned this tahini drizzle with lemon juice and a little bit of mustard and hot sauce for flavor. You could also use ketchup instead of hot sauce.
For the creamiest and best tasting tahini sauce, it is important to use a super smooth, high quality tahini, like this Seeds of Collaboration tahini that is sourced in the Middle East and contributes to Middle East Entrepreneurs of Tomorrow! Check it out here.
These vegan egg muffins are a great option when you want to serve many people at a brunch party, because you can just pop them in the oven and double the recipe if you wish to make more.
To give these muffins an egg like flavor, we use kala namak, or black salt. It can be easily found online and is useful for giving an eggy flavor to vegan recipes!
- ¾ cup split yellow mung beans (moong dal), soaked for at least 6 hours (or overnight)*
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp avocado or vegetable oil (optional)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp black salt (kala namak) (optional, gives the egg-like flavor)**
- Chopped or diced veggies of your choice (I used diced bell pepper, kale leaves, and halved cherry tomatoes. Try spinach or diced red onion)
- 2 tbsp tahini***
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp hot sauce or ketchup (I used cholula)
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1-2 tbsp water
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Add all ingredients for the egg muffins, except for the veggies, into a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Chop and dice the veggies you will be using and set aside.
- Grease a muffin pan or line with parchment baking cups. Pour egg muffin mix into the muffin cups until ⅔ full. Add some diced veggies to each cup and push down slightly. Bake for 20-25 mins, until the edges are slightly browned and start to pull away from the edge of the cups. You can stick a toothpick in the middle to check if the inside is fully cooked, it should come out clean. Let the muffins cool for at least 5 mins, and they will become more firm.
- Meanwhile, whisk all ingredients for tahini sauce in a small bowl.
- Serve egg muffins with tahini sauce or hot sauce. Enjoy!
Try more vegan egg recipes!