These lemon garlic green beans with crispy chickpea-fried onions are a perfect side dish for any meal! If you are not the biggest fan of green beans, try this recipe- it’s packed full of flavor and the crispy onions make all the difference. The green beans are simply roasted in the oven while you fry the onions, for a dish that’s ready in under half an hour!
These lemon garlic roasted green beans make an amazing side dish for a Thanksgiving or holiday dinner. The crispy chickpea-fried onions are addicting and are great toppings for a variety of dishes… think mac and cheese or brussels sprouts! The possibilites are endless. This dish is vegan and gluten-free, so it is ready to be enjoyed by everyone!
- 1 lb green beans
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt, +more to taste
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 sweet or yellow onion, sliced into thin strands
- ½ cup chickpea flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 3-4 tbsp avocado or olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Toss green beans with olive oil, salt, pepper, and minced garlic. Place seasoned green beans on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake the green beans for 20-25 minutes, until they just start to shrivel and brown slightly.
- Meanwhile, prepare the crispy chickpea fried onions. Toss a thinly sliced onion in a small bowl with the chickpea flour and salt. Make sure the onion strands are coated in the mixture. Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add chickpea-coated onions to the hot pan in a single layer.
- Fry the onions for about 10 mins total. You want the chickpea coating to be brown and crispy, and the onions to be softened. After a couple minutes, flip over a small portion of the onions to see if they have browned. If so, flip over all of the onions so they can get evenly browned on both sides.
- Remove green beans from the oven when done and toss with the juice of one lemon. Serve roasted garlic green beans topped with crispy onions. Enjoy!