This glowing golden turmeric oatmeal makes a perfect start to your day, thanks to turmeric’s numerous health and nutritional benefits! Turmeric has been a well known natural remedy and supplement for centuries in Arabic and South Asian cultures, as well as across the world. The Latin names for turmeric and its active ingredient, curcumin, come from the Arabic word كركم (Kurkum).
Turmeric has been proven to aid in digestion and provide anti-inflammatory properties. It also has benefits as an antioxidant and some studies have suggested it can even increase the antioxidant capacity of the body. New studies demonstrate turmeric has been correlated with boosting mood and enhancing emotional well-being due to raising serotonin and dopamine levels, possibly lowering depression and anxiety.
Not only is this oatmeal amazingly good for you in so many ways, it is absolutely delicious! The fragrant spices make this a warm, comforting breakfast, and it is even better topped with fresh fruits and maple syrup!
Let me know if you try this recipe in the comments below, and don’t forget to tag your recreations on Instagram @zenanzaatar!
- 1 tsp minced ginger (or ½ inch knob fresh ginger, grated, or ½ tsp ginger powder)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (optional)
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup rolled oats (if needed, ensure gluten-free)
- ⅛ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- pinch of black pepper
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Heat coconut oil in a saucepan over medium high heat. Add ginger and oats and toast for about 3 mins.*
- Add the almond milk, turmeric, black pepper, sea salt, and cinnamon. Stir to incorporate and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 8-12 minutes, stirring in the maple syrup and vanilla at the end. Remove from heat and serve when desired consistency is reach.