This creamy avocado mac recipe has finally answered my prayers of discovering a vegan mac and cheese that tastes just as good as "real" mac and cheese. And how could it not turn out to be amazingly delicious, when it includes avocado?!
Watch me show you how to make this creamy vegan avocado mac and cheese in the video below!
Watch the full video here on YouTube!
Avocado's buttery, creamy texture lends sandwiches and toasts a canvas that can easily be complemented by an array of toppings, but it is also just as delicious alone. Paired with herbs like basil and cilantro that complement its color and bring out its richness, avocado is truly the star of this dish. The spices used, in combination with the garlic, give this mac a truly cheesy flavor that I could not believe the moment I tasted it.
And the best part of this avocado mac is that it only takes about 15 minutes to put together! While you are cooking the pasta, simply blend together a creamy avocado sauce and prepare the fragrant garlic sauce base in a saucepan. Then, combine the three parts. And that's it.
This version of mac and cheese puts a healthy spin on a classic comfort food, and I definitely did not feel guilty about finishing most of it in one sitting.
- Avocado: Adds creaminess and puts a healthier twist on this vegan mac and cheese, replacing the fat of dairy cheese. People say this makes it taste like a "guac-a-roni." For a stronger avocado taste use a ripe avocado, but if you don't care as much for the avocado taste, use a less ripe avocado.
- Fresh basil & cilantro: these herbs boost the green color, incorporate fragrant flavors, and add antioxidant value.
- Lemon juice: adds the tartness you would find in dairy cheese.
- Nutritional yeast: adds the cheesy flavor! This is a STAPLE of vegan cuisine so I like to get a lot of it for all my recipes- it goes on pretty much anything! Buy it here!
- Non-dairy milk: makes the base for our creamy vegan bechamel.
- Pasta: I like to use elbow pasta but you can use any kind.
- Minced garlic: adds a delicious savory flavor.
- Oil or plant-based butter: makes the roux for our creamy base.
- Regular or arrowroot flour: for the roux of the vegan bechamel.
Why you'll love this vegan avocado mac and cheese:
- Incredibly delicious: This avocado mac is bursting with savory flavors and is ultra creamy!
- Easy to make: You simply blend the avocado base, cook your pasta, whip up the bechamel base in a saucepan, and then combine the three parts!
- Quick: This recipe will take you no more than 20 minutes from start to finish!
- Can be made gluten-free: Easily make this recipe completely gluten-free by using a GF pasta, such as brown rice penne, and a GF flour. I prefer arrowroot flour, as it works as a perfect substitute in the roux for the vegan bechamel base.
- Can be served a variety of ways: Top it with vegan parmesan, broiled tomatoes, sliced avocado, or your favorite roasted veggies! I also love adding corn or crispy tofu for extra protein.
- 1 large ripe avocado, or 2 small ripe avocados
- juice of 1 lemon (or 3 tbsp lemon juice)
- 1 cup basil leaves (loosely packed)
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- 4-6 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ cup almond or other non-dairy milk (to thin)
- 1 tsp spirulina
Pasta and Cream Base
- 10-12 oz. macaroni or elbow pasta (gluten-free optional)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 ½ tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp flour (or arrowroot flour for gluten-free)
- 1 ¼ cup almond or other non-dairy milk
- Add ingredients for avocado sauce to high speed blender and blend until smooth. If not using a high speed blender, you may need to pulse a few times. Set avocado sauce aside.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions. Rinse and drain cooked pasta, and return to pot.
- While pasta cooks, prepare sauce base. Sauté minced garlic in measured olive oil until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add in flour and whisk to combine, ensuring no lumps form. Slowly add in almond milk a little at a time and whisk constantly over medium high heat. Sauce will thicken quickly (over high heat). Once thickened, remove from heat, after about 2 minutes.
- Pour avocado mixture into sauce base and whisk to combine the two. Taste and add salt or more nutritional yeast if needed. Pour sauce over cooked pasta and stir through to combine. Serve immediately topped with avocado slices for garnish, broiled tomatoes, and your favorite vegan parmesan.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 2363Total Fat: 80gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 62gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 999mgCarbohydrates: 330gFiber: 45gSugar: 15gProtein: 95g
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although zenandzaatar.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.