Want to skip the ads and fluff and download this recipe straight to your device? Download this recipe and over 55 other vegan recipes as part of my e-book, HERE!
This warming lentil and sweet potato chili is the perfect comfort food for colder months! Big on flavor, this super filling gluten-free and vegan sweet potato chili is sure to be a favorite!
This cozy vegan chili is hearty thanks to the lentils, which replace the meat used in a traditional chili recipe. The sweet potatoes add an amazing texture and flavor, and make it good enough to be enjoyed as a standalone meal! This vegan and gluten-free sweet potato chili gets just the right amount of heat from a combination of jalapeño and chili powder.
I have been enjoying variations of this lentil chili since I first went vegan, and I can't believe it took me so long to share it with you all! But since I've made it so many times, I've really perfected this recipe and consider it to be the ultimate vegan chili.
Like most of my recipes on this blog, it is meat-eater approved! I've made it for non-vegan friends and family who absolutely loved it. So this is a great recipe to bring to a party, potluck, or serve to all kinds of guests.
Topped generously with cilantro, and avocado or vegan sour cream, you really can't go wrong with this vegan lentil and sweet potato chili.
If you enjoy this free recipe, consider supporting me further by purchasing or gifting my e-book, including this recipe and over 55 others! Have the best vegan recipes at your fingertips, downloaded to your device, without the ads and extra text on my blog. Buy it HERE!
Warming Lentil & Sweet Potato Chili (Vegan, GF)
This warming lentil and sweet potato chili is the perfect comfort food for colder months. This gluten-free, vegan sweet potato chili recipe is big on flavor!
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small jalapeño, diced (remove seeds for less heat)
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 tbsp avocado oil (optional)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 5-6 Roma tomatoes, diced, or 2 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 large or 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (about 2 cups diced)
- ¾ cup green or brown lentils
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1 15 oz can black beans or kidney beans
- 1 ½ cup corn kernels (frozen or canned)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar (optional)
- Chopped cilantro, for serving
- Heat oil in a pot over medium-high heat, and sauté the onion, bell pepper, and jalapeño. If not using oil, you may need to add 1 tbsp of water to prevent sticking. Sauté until the onions are translucent, 5-7 mins.
- Add garlic, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, and smoked paprika. Sauté until the garlic is fragrant, 2-3 more mins.
- Add tomatoes, sweet potato, lentils, and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, and then lower heat down to a simmer. Simmer, covered, on medium to low heat, for about 20 mins. Check to see that the sweet potatoes are fork-tender and the lentils are tender at this time.
- Add beans, corn, and salt. Simmer for about 10 more mins. Taste and add sugar, more salt to taste, if needed.
- Serve vegan sweet potato chili topped with cilantro and avocado or vegan sour cream. Serve with quinoa or rice if you wish. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 367Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1723mgCarbohydrates: 63gFiber: 18gSugar: 17gProtein: 17g
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although zenandzaatar.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.
Leave a Reply