These vegan jerk chicken plantain nachos are the perfect summer meal or snack to beat the heat! Tender jerk jackfruit, creamy guacamole, and crispy plantain chips come together in this simple dish that everyone will love.
I previously shared a recipe for zesty lime and chili air fryer plantain chips with the best creamy guacamole. I thought the perfect way to turn this snack into a filling meal would be to transform them into plantain nachos with the addition of jerk jackfruit. Be prepared for your tastebuds to be sent to a Caribbean island when you take a bite of these surprisingly vegan nachos!
Plantains and Guac
- 2 20 oz. cans young green jackfruit in brine or water
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp ginger, minced
- 3 tbsp soy sauce (or tamari for GF)
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
Jerk Seasoning Mix
- 3 tbsp coconut or raw sugar
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp thyme
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Cilantro leaves
- Salsa or diced tomatoes
- Vegan cheese sauce (recipe for cashew queso)
- Prepare plantain chips according to recipe.
- Drain jackfruit and cut away any hard parts of the "core" if needed. Toss jackfruit with the jerk seasoning mix and sauté in oil. Add garlic and ginger, and sauté over medium high heat for 5 minutes, until brown.
- Once browned and fragrant, add the soy sauce, vinegar, lemon juice, and tomato paste to the jackfruit. Toss and simmer on low-medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, you can prepare the guacamole according to recipe.
- Assemble your jerk plantain nachos. I like to put a layer of plantain chips on the plate, top with spoons of the jerk jackfruit, and top that with dollops of guacamole. Top everything with salsa, nacho cheese sauce, and cilantro leaves if using. Enjoy!