These air fryer plantain chips make a healthy alternative to fried chips and are just as delicious! Spiced with chili, garlic and lime, these plantains taste amazing dunked in fresh, creamy guacamole. These vegan and gluten free plantain chips can also be made just as easily in the oven!
As a child, I remember always asking my babysitter to bring me back a big bag of fried plantain chips from the Latin grocery store, and these air fryer plantains took me right back to those days! I love salty snacks and these always hit the spot.
- 3 green plantains
- 2 tsp coconut or vegetable oil
- Zest of one lime
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder (optional)
- ⅛ tsp chili powder
- 3 ripe Hass avocados
- ½ small red onion
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves, loosely packed
- Juice of one lime
- 1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper (optional)
- Peel the plantains; this is done easily by slicing 2-3 slits down the length of peel so you can peel it apart. Slice the plantains thinly with a mandolin or by hand, diagonally, so it creates more surface area. Toss plantains with the rest of the ingredients (oil and spices).
- Preheat your air fryer to 374F.* Bake for 15-20 mins, shaking every 5 mins or so and removing any chips that are already browned and crispy.
- Meanwhile, prepare the guacamole. This can be done in a food processor, but I prefer to make it by hand. Finely chop the onion and cilantro leaves. Mash the avocados with a fork in a bowl, and then combine with all other ingredients. Taste and adjust seasoning (salt, lime juice, pepper) as needed.