These air fryer plantain chips make a healthy alternative to fried chips and are just as delicious! Spiced with chili, garlic and lime, these plantains taste amazing dunked in fresh, creamy guacamole. These vegan and gluten free plantain chips can also be made just as easily in the oven!
As a child, I remember always asking my babysitter to bring me back a big bag of fried plantain chips from the Latin grocery store, and these air fryer plantains took me right back to those days! I love salty snacks and these always hit the spot.
- Green plantains: Green plantains are perfect for savory plantain chips, as they stay crunchy!
- Cooking oil: Only a small amount (less than a tablespoon) is needed when you cook these in the air-fryer.
- Lime: Lime zest flavors the plantain chips and the guacamole is infused with lime juice.
- Chili + garlic powder: Adds flavor to the plantain chips.
- Avocados: The base for our creamy guacamole.
- Red onion: I love the crunch and bite that red onions add to guacamole.
- Cilantro: I can’t make guacamole without it!
- Garlic: Optional, but I love the extra savory flavor in guacamole.
Why you’ll love these air fried plantain chips:
- Easy: simply season and air fry the sliced green plantains, while you combine the ingredients together for a flavorful, creamy guacamole.
- Quick: you’ll be snacking on these in just 20 mins!
- Flavorful: we season these plantain chips with chili and lime, and the guacamole with lemon, red onion, and cilantro.
- Perfect for parties: serve this as an appetizer for your friends to snack on, or bring it to an event!
- 3 green plantains
- 2 tsp coconut or vegetable oil
- Zest of one lime
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder (optional)
- 1/8 tsp chili powder
- 3 ripe Hass avocados
- 1/2 small red onion
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, loosely packed
- Juice of one lime
- 1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (optional)
- Peel the plantains; this is done easily by slicing 2-3 slits down the length of peel so you can peel it apart. Slice the plantains thinly with a mandolin or by hand, diagonally, so it creates more surface area. Toss plantains with the rest of the ingredients (oil and spices).
- Preheat your air fryer to 374F.* Bake for 15-20 mins, shaking every 5 mins or so and removing any chips that are already browned and crispy.
- Meanwhile, prepare the guacamole. This can be done in a food processor, but I prefer to make it by hand. Finely chop the onion and cilantro leaves. Mash the avocados with a fork in a bowl, and then combine with all other ingredients. Taste and adjust seasoning (salt, lime juice, pepper) as needed.
*To bake the chips in the oven, preheat the oven to 400F and bake for 15-20 mins, flipping the chips halfway through.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 427Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 896mgCarbohydrates: 69gFiber: 12gSugar: 27gProtein: 4g
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although zenandzaatar.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.