Want to skip the ads and fluff and download this recipe straight to your device? Download this recipe and over 55 other vegan recipes as part of my e-book, HERE!
This vegan french toast is naturally sweetened with creamy coconut milk, and complemented with a raspberry chia jam and luxurious coconut crème anglaise. Chickpea flour helps to give this raspberries and cream french toast an eggy flavor, as well as ensures that it gets a crispy exterior and stays fluffy inside.
I got the inspiration for this recipe from an amazing cafe well-known in the south called the Flying Biscuit. They have all kinds of delicious breakfast specialties and serve breakfast all-day, so it quickly became one of my favorite spots to frequent because we all know that breakfast food is the best kind of food. My absolute favorite dish there was their french toast. It was such a simple dish made with whole wheat toast, but it was served with a syrupy raspberry jam and light, creamy crème anglaise. The Flying Biscuit's french toast also never seemed to get too soggy, no matter how much maple syrup and toppings you drowned it in. I decided to put my own spin on this famous french toast and veganize it, so I can once again enjoy the raspberry-cream flavors I loved and share them with you!
I started by preparing the raspberry jam with fresh raspberries. Chia seeds offer a protein boost to this sweet jam, and the natural sweetness of the berries needs only a touch of agave or maple syrup. Chia jam is a healthy alternative to store-bought jam, and comes together in about 5 minutes.
The coconut crème anglaise is the perfect complement to the tart raspberry jam. I found the consistency to turn out exactly like traditional crème anglaise. It is creamy, smooth, and just thick enough to be generously drizzled or spread on a breakfast pastry.
The secret to french toast that always turns out with a crispy exterior is in the batter. You simply add some chickpea flour to the dipping batter, and once you coat the french toast and griddle it, you end up with crispy french toast! It also adds an egg-like flavor.
The raspberry and cream join together on top of the beautifully crisped french toasts to create a decadent flavor combination! The richness that the coconut milk brings to the dish makes it feel almost as though you are eating a dessert, when in fact it is a healthier, plant-based take on a breakfast favorite.
Raspberries and cream are a beautiful combination in desserts because the tart, bright berries are balanced out by the rich cream, and I absolutely love this combo on top of this french toast! Topped with extra raspberries and maple syrup, this french toast is the perfect weekend brunch treat and comes together in under 30 minutes!
If you enjoy this free recipe, consider supporting me further by purchasing or gifting my e-book, including this recipe and over 55 others! Have the best vegan recipes at your fingertips, downloaded to your device, without the ads and extra text on my blog. Buy it HERE!
Vegan French Toast with Coconut Milk & Raspberry Chia Jam
An easy coconut milk based vegan french toast that comes together in under 30 minutes. Topped with a raspberry chia jam and decadent coconut crème anglaise.
- 6 slices of sturdy bread
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 3 tbsp chickpea flour
- 1-2 tbsp water
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- 1½ tbsp coconut oil or vegan butter (for cooking)
- ½ cup coconut cream (only the creamy top part of a chilled can of full fat coconut milk)
- 1½ tbsp coconut sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla
Raspberry Chia Jam
- 1½ cups raspberries
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or agave
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup water
- Begin by preparing chia jam. In a saucepan over medium heat, add raspberries and agave. Wait 4-6 minutes, until berries are softened and begin to dissolve. Add chia seeds and water and simmer for 2-3 more minutes, until the berry mixture reaches a jam-like consistency. Set aside.
- Prepare coconut crème anglaise by combining coconut cream and coconut sugar in a small saucepan over low heat. Constantly whisk the mixture to prevent separation. Once the mixture thickens, around 4 minutes add the vanilla and continue to stir for about 1 more minute.
- Remove from heat. Transfer to another container to let cool and reserve for serving.
- Begin to prepare the french toast batter by whisking coconut milk, chickpea flour, water, vanilla, and cinnamon together until smooth. Start off with 1 tbsp water, and add another tbsp of water if the batter seems too thick. Put the batter in a shallow dish for dipping.
- Heat a griddle or skillet to medium-high heat and grease with coconut oil. Dip each slice of bread in batter for 30 seconds on each side. Grill each slice in the skillet for 3-4 minutes on each side. I like to work with 2-3 slices at a time.
- Serve french toast with raspberry chia jam, drizzle with crème anglaise, and plenty of maple syrup, if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 713Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 29gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 339mgCarbohydrates: 84gFiber: 8gSugar: 44gProtein: 10g
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although zenandzaatar.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.
Martha S. says
I tried this recipe for brunch today and loved how simple and tasty the result was! I might add a bit of nutritional yeast to the batter next time for an umami complement to the sweetness of the coconut and raspberries, but regardless this one is a winner. Thank you for sharing this!
Zena | Zen and Zaatar says
That sounds like a great addition! So glad you loved it!