This festive kale taco salad is packed with a total of over 65g of protein thanks to tempeh and black beans, and irresistible when topped with a creamy cilantro-lime tahini dressing! Lately, I have been working out more and trying to get more protein into my diet, and this salad makes the perfect filling dinner for 2 or 3 servings. Who said vegans don’t get enough protein?
This high-protein vegan taco salad is a great post-workout meal. It is light and refreshing, yet incredibly filling. For the main protein, tempeh crumbles are seasoned like taco meat. Tempeh does an amazing job of absorbing the flavor of marinades and seasonings.
The kale is soft, after being massaged with lime juice, and corn and cherry tomatoes add bright colors and flavors to the salad. I also topped it with creamy avocado and crunchy spiced pepitas! I am so excited to take advantage of the warm weather and plan more outdoor activities and exercises. I have recently been loving outdoor yoga. It is so refreshing to take a few moments away from the stress and noise of our daily lives and focus on our breathing around nature.
- 6 cups kale leaves
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 8 oz. block tempeh (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil (optional)
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- 3½ tbsp water
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- ½ tsp salt
- 5 level tbsp tahini (sesame paste)
- ½ Avocado, sliced
- ⅔ cup corn kernels
- 1 can black beans
- 1½ cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- Massage 1 tbsp lime juice into washed, trimmed kale leaves and place into a salad bowl.
- Crumble block of tempeh into a medium bowl. Add tamari and lime juice, and stir to coat the tempeh, until it absorbs most of the liquid.
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat, and add marinated tempeh.* Add onion powder, cumin, and chili powder. Sauté for about 10 mins, until browned, and remove from heat.
- Blend all ingredients for cilantro lime tahini in a high speed blender and set aside.
- Toss kale leaves with tahini dressing, corn, black beans, cherry tomatoes, and crumbled tempeh. Massage the dressing into the kale leaves for best results. Drizzle extra dressing on top, and top with pepitas and sliced avocado if desired. Enjoy!