This easy meal combines crispy spiced tofu and crunchy cashews with a delicious sticky coconut red curry coating! This red curry tofu comes together in just over half an hour and is the perfect comforting, yet simple meal to throw together after a long day.
I discovered this dish when I was short on time but wanted to cook a satisfying, flavorful tofu dish. I combined some of my favorite seasonings and ingredients, and it turned out wonderfully. This tofu is so addicting and when I made it for myself for dinner with my family (I often cook my own separate vegan dish), even those who were skeptical about tofu tried it and loved it! When I saw how popular it was with my family, I knew I had to share it with the rest of the world.
The tofu turns out perfectly crispy, after being sprinkled with a thin coating of cornstarch. The spices, ginger, and garlic combine to give it a wonderful aroma.
The tofu is then covered in a sweet red curry sauce, that sticks to it the longer it cooks. A splash of coconut milk is added to deglaze the pan and add creaminess.
The crunchy cashews are a must and add the perfect texture to this dish! Serve it over a bed of warm rice or quinoa, or alongside steamed veggies.
Don’t forget to let me know if you try this recipe below in the comments or pin it for later! And I would love to see your recreations on Instagram @zenanzaatar! ????
- 1 block tofu
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1.5 tbsp coconut oil
- 1.5 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp salt (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp grated ginger
- 2 tbsp red curry
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- ⅓ cup cashew pieces
- ¼-1/2 cup light coconut milk
- Chopped cilantro for topping
- Drain tofu, wrap in paper towels or towel, and press using a plate, weighed down by a heavy can. Let press for 20-30 mins.
- Wipe excess moisture off tofu, and slice into 1 inch cubes. Sift the cornstarch evenly over the tofu, and toss to coat.
- Heat coconut oil in a skillet over medium high heat, and add tofu, minced garlic, and grated ginger. Sprinkle with garam masala, turmeric, and salt if using, and stir to coat. Sauté until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Mix red curry, coconut sugar, and vegetable broth in a small bowl, and pour over the tofu. Stir to coat the tofu and sauté until the sauce starts to thicken and stick to the tofu, about 5 more minutes.
- Once curry has thickened to your desired consistency, add coconut milk. If you would like a more saucy consistency, add ½ cup. If you would like less sauce and more of the curry to stick to the tofu, add ¼ cup. Stir to combine curry and coconut milk. The sauce will reduce and thicken fairly quickly. Depending on desired consistency, cook for 2-6 more mins. (The longer you cook it, the more sticky and reduced it will be.)
- Top with chopped cilantro and serve over rice. Enjoy!