This potato and corn cauliflower chowder is so rich and creamy that you wouldn't believe it's vegan! Infused with rosemary, it's the perfect hearty winter soup, filling enough to eat as a meal.
I have always loved creamy soups, especially clam chowder, as well as cream of potato and seafood bisques... the list goes on! Sadly, I gave them up years ago, except for a few occasional indulgences, because they are so heavy and definitely not the healthiest of soups! Since going vegan, I have yet to have tried a creamy soup like that, until now! And I can finally indulge in what seems like a hearty, creamy soup, but without the guilt!
This soups base is made from roasted cauliflower, some potato for extra creaminess, and vegetable broth. It's amazing how puréed cauliflower can result in a rich and creamy base! Rosemary adds a wonderful aroma and the paprika adds just the right amount of smokiness, reminiscent of the flavor found in traditional creamy seafood soups.
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do! Let me know if you try this in the comments below, and don't forget to post your recreations on Instagram @zenandzaatar!
- 7 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 head garlic
- ½ onion (red or yellow)
- 4 cups peeled and diced potatoes (I prefer yukon gold)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 2 cups almond milk
- 4-5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 2 tbsp chopped rosemary
- Preheat oven to 425F. Cut off the end of the garlic head to expose the bulbs. Put garlic head, cauliflower florets, onion halve, and diced potatoes on a baking sheet. Drizzle exposed garlic head, onion, florets, and potatoes with olive oil.
- Bake for 20-30 mins, checking at 15 minutes, until veggies are tender and slightly browned.
- Blend cauliflower florets, garlic, onion, 1 cup of the diced roasted potatoes, 4 cups of vegetable broth, and almond milk in a high speed blender. You may need to do this in several batches. Blend until smooth. If it is too thick, you can add the extra cup of vegetable broth.
- Place the blended cauliflower mixture into a large pot over medium high heat. Add in corn, remaining diced potatoes, rosemary, salt, smoked paprika, and nutritional yeast. Heat through for 5-10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 480Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 3977mgCarbohydrates: 83gFiber: 14gSugar: 20gProtein: 18g
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although zenandzaatar.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.