I am constantly looking for ways to infuse a creamy richness into my plant-based recipes, without the calories and the fat. This healthy vegan stroganoff uses raw zucchini to create a rich and creamy base! Meat-eaters and vegetarians alike will love this creamy mushroom pasta.
I used a mix of shiitake and oyster mushrooms in this recipe, but any type of mushrooms will work! My husband is not a big fan of mushrooms, but I find that oyster and shiitake mushrooms can provide a meatier taste and texture than most, and he loved this recipe! You would never guess that the richness and creaminess of this pasta comes from a blended raw zucchini, a healthy alternative to the traditional heavy cream used in stroganoff recipes!
This recipe is also extremely versatile in that you can make it gluten-free or add the veggies and greens of your choice. I added some wilted spinach to my pasta, but it would also be delicious with kale or peas!
- 10 oz. gluten free pasta of choice (about half a box)
- 1 lb. mixed mushrooms
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 tsp mushroom umami spice (replace with 1 tbsp tamari if unavailable)
- 1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 small or medium raw zucchini, peeled
- 2 cups almond milk
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, prepare the cream. Place the raw, peeled zucchini along with the other ingredients for the cream in a high speed blender, and blend until smooth.
- Slice and wash mushrooms. Sauté mushrooms and onion in olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, until the mushrooms are browned and the onions are translucent, about 3-5 mins. Then, add garlic, thyme, mushroom umami spice, tamari, and pepper. Sauté until garlic and spices are fragrant, about 3 more mins.
- Add cream to the saucepan with the mushrooms and cook over medium heat until flavors are thoroughly infused, about 5 mins, stirring constantly. If it gets too thick, you can add water or more almond milk 2 tbsp at a time, until it is at the consistency of your liking.
- Taste sauce and add more salt or tamari if needed.
- Serve vegan mushroom stroganoff over cooked and drained pasta. Top with fresh parsley. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 354Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1035mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 12gSugar: 10gProtein: 13g
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although zenandzaatar.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.