This isn't just any vegan bacon cheeseburger- sandwiched between a toasted glazed donut bun, also known as the Luther burger, this recipe really illustrates that anything can be turned vegan- while still being equally as delicious!
Although this is by no means a "healthy" recipe, I didn't feel weighed down or sluggish at all after eating one of these, despite their tantalizing appearance! I think this is a great alternative to the actual Luther burger, dubbed by some the "heart attack burger"- not only is it free from cholesterol, but it is also free from cruelty!
- 4 plant-based burger patties*
- 4 slices of melt-able vegan cheese or vegan cheese sauce
- 8 slices vegan bacon
- 1 tbsp vegan butter (like Earth Balance)
- 1 package of vegan biscuit dough**~
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp non-dairy milk
- Vegetable oil for frying
- On a non stick surface (I used greased parchment), lay out your raw biscuits. If you wish to cut a donut hole in the center, use a greased smaller glass to cut it out. However, I find that the donut buns hold together better without a donut hole.
- Heat about an inch deep of oil in a skillet over medium to medium high heat. You can test to see if the oil is hot enough by dipping a chopstick or wooden spoon in and watching for steady bubbles upon contact. Once the oil is hot, drop the biscuits in and fry them for 1 minute on each side, until golden brown. Remove and place each donut on a paper-towel lined surface, or a drying rack with paper towels underneath.
- Whisk together the powdered sugar and non-dairy milk in a small bowl to make the glaze. Once the donuts are cool to touch, dip each one in the glaze, carefully coating the entire surface. Place on a drying rack.
- Heat the vegan butter over medium high heat in a skillet, and fry the bacon slices until crispy on both sides, usually a couple mins for each side. Set aside on a paper-towel lined surface.
- Cook plant-based burger patties for 3 mins on each side over medium high heat, or until browned. In the last minute of cooking, place a slice of vegan cheese on the burgers and cover with a lid so they melt.
- If you wish to use donut halves as buns, cut the donuts in half and toast them in the skillet. Otherwise, just use whole donuts as buns.
- Assemble your burgers! Place a cheeseburger topped with two bacon slices in between your donut buns. Enjoy!