If you're not the biggest fan of quinoa, you need to try this recipe! This creamy coconut quinoa and greens is super savory, flavorful, and the creaminess makes it feel like a comfort food dish!
This dish pairs well with a main protein, but is also filling and hearty enough to stand alone. I would recommend adding white beans if you want to serve it as a main dish- they add extra protein and basically just melt into the dish, adding to the creaminess!
The garlicky greens and creamy coconut milk truly make this savory quinoa dish feel like a comfort food, although it is a relatively healthy dish and packed with protein already from the quinoa! Nutritional yeast can be added to give this quinoa a cheesy flavor.
If you would like some extra flavor, I recommend topping this creamy quinoa and greens with your favorite hot sauce.
- Add chickpeas or white beans for extra protein and make it even more filling as a main meal.
- Add your favorite hot sauce on top if you like heat and want to add some extra flavor.
- Switch up the greens and use your favorites! This would be great with chard, spinach, or even broccoli.
If you enjoy this free recipe, consider supporting me further by purchasing or gifting my e-book, including this recipe and over 55 others! Have the best vegan recipes at your fingertips, downloaded to your device, without the ads and extra text on my blog. Buy it HERE!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 heaping tbsp miso paste (or substitute with ½ tsp salt)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼-1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 collard green leaves (about 1 bunch)
- 4-5 cups chopped kale leaves (de-stemmed)
- pinch of salt
- ground pepper
- Wash and trim collard greens, removing the stems. To cut them, you can stack a couple leaves on top of each other, roll them, and slice these rolls, making thin ribbons (chiffonading.) Make sure your kale is de-stemmed and cut into smaller pieces as well.
- Sauté minced garlic in oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, 1-2 mins, until fragrant. Add kale, collard greens, and some salt and pepper. Sauté for 5-6 mins and remove from heat.
- Rinse and drain dry quinoa. Put quinoa and vegetable broth in a pot and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and add in miso paste, garlic powder, and onion powder. Cover and cook for 10-12 mins, until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add coconut milk, cooked greens, nutritional yeast if desired, and salt and pepper to taste. Combine and cook for about 5 more mins before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 573Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 746mgCarbohydrates: 75gFiber: 31gSugar: 11gProtein: 29g
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although zenandzaatar.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.