After many tries (4 to be exact) I finally found the winning combination of ingredients to produce the ultimate gluten-free, oil-free AND vegan double chocolate chip cookies! And they only require 7 ingredients and 15 minutes to prepare, which can be done in one bowl… they are almost too good to be true!
Watch me show you how to make these epic double chocolate cookies in the video below!
Watch on YouTube!
I have always loved flourless double chocolate chip cookies and the secret to making these delicious cookies without any oil, eggs, dairy, or flour is to use aquafaba and almond butter. Aquafaba works as a miracle egg-replacer in so many baking recipes, and the almond butter offers a deliciously healthy alternative to any oil or butter.
- Aquafaba: this is the glue that holds this cookie together! A vegan alternative to eggs that can be used in most baked goods, aquafaba is the liquid from a can of chickpeas or white beans. It has a viscosity similar to egg whites.
- Baking soda: this helps the cookies rise during the baking process. Make sure your baking soda isn’t expired, or else the cookies won’t rise!
- Coconut sugar: I love this as a less processed, raw, unrefined alternative to regular cane sugar.
- Cocoa powder: makes these cookies chocolatey and delicious!
- Vanilla: boosts the sweet flavors of this cookie.
- Almond butter: since this is an oil-free recipe, this adds the healthy fats in this recipe.
- Chocolate chips (dairy-free): I love to use the Enjoy Life brand or Guittard brand.
Why you’ll love these vegan double chocolate chip cookies:
- So delicious: I love chocolate so if you do too, these cookies are for you! They are not overwhelmingly sweet and have a crispy exterior, but slightly chewy inside.
- Easy to make: All you need to do is combine the ingredients, chill the dough, shape the cookies, and bake!
- One bowl: If you use a sifter, all you need is one bowl to combine all of the ingredients! You will sift the dry ingredients over the wet ingredients.
- 7 ingredients: That’s it!
- Oil-free and gluten-free: These cookies are flourless and use almond butter so that there’s no need for oil!
- Healthy-ish: Since they are oil-free and flourless, they are less calories than your traditional cookie recipe.
The best part about this recipe is that you barely have to wait for them to be ready… and if you can’t even wait that long, the dough is delicious on its own! These cookies are the perfect companion to a tall, cold, glass of almond milk.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Combine almond butter, aquafaba, and vanilla in a large bowl.
- Sift dry ingredients (baking soda, coconut sugar, and cocoa powder) over the wet ingredients, stirring to combine as you do so. Alternatively, you can whisk the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix with a spoon until just combined. This should result in a sticky dough. Fold in chocolate chips.
- To make it easier to work with, you can refrigerate the dough for at least 30 mins. Drop rounded spoonfuls of the dough onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 9-12 minutes. Baking for 9 minutes will yield chewier cookies, while baking for 11-12 minutes will yield cookies that are thin and crispy. Be careful not to overbake. Let cool for at least 2 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 15 Serving Size: 1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 93Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 43mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 2g
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although zenandzaatar.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.